New Year’s Resolution ~ Living a healthy gluten-free lifestyle-key in 2013!
First and foremost I want to take this opportunity to thank you for reading Blinded by the Bite! in 2012. I’ve made so many changes this year including rolling out a new website, which I am still working on to bring you more features and writing more original recipes which I have just really enjoyed. I can’t tell you the joy it brings me to share new food discoveries with you on my blog and I’ve been so appreciative of the positive response to the new website/blog!
I’m not one to set New Year’s resolutions, as to me it’s setting myself up for failure, as I usually have a list of 5-10 things I want to change. Two things I want to improve on is (1) not over committing myself and (2) get to an optimal level of personal health. So I got a head start on losing weight in December. I am happy to report as of today I am down 8 lbs. – Miracle after making several batches of Christmas cookies cause you know I have to taste test them all to make sure they are just perfection! All kidding aside, losing weight it a huge personal goal for me in 2013. I want to share this journey with you here on my website/blog, as one it help keep me accountable, but more importantly I know there are others struggling with the same issues I do living a gluten-free lifestyle. I know I get frustrated not seeing the scale move, or when I want that certain something to eat but know unquestionably it’s off-limits (while still having a conversation in my head trying to convince myself “go ahead it’s just one little bite what will it hurt”). Food is what connects us all and having conversations about it are so important. When transitioning over to a gluten-free lifestyle there can be many challenges and it’s about sharing this information, building a community and network so we all become healthier individual’s. I hope you will come along with me on this journey – I am sure it will be a laugh riot at times and a tear jerker at others, but I hope you will share your journey with me as well!
What’s in store over at Blinded by the Bite! in 2013 you ask? Here is what I’ve got on the calendar so far for 2013:
- More Gluten-Free Recipes (will be posting more recipes each week with a focus on healthy meal planning)
- Dede Wilson’s Cakeballs Cookbook Giveaway in mid-January courtesy of Harvard Common Press
- Gluten-Free Food Expo San Francisco Feb 9th – 10th
- Gluten-Free Travel / Road Trip – Heading to Pompano Beach Florida Feb 10th – Feb 17th: What delicious bites will I be eating that are gluten-free
- IACP: International Association of Culinary Professionals (April 2013 – San Francisco, CA)
- BlogHer Food 2013 (June 2013- Austin, TX) – Speaker for “Scale Your Small Business” Panel
- Nourished Food Blogger Conference (TBD: September 2013 – Dallas, TX)
There will be activities/dates released as I add events to my calendar and I will be publishing them via my website/blog.
Again 2012 has been a fabulous year and again thank you for reading my blog, inviting me to events, asking me to take part in panels, culinary content groups, etc. – This is most certainly not the life I thought I would be living had you asked me “where do you see yourself in 5 years.” The car accidents took their toll on me emotionally, financially and physically, changing me in ways I never thought possible. I had a lot of anger and resentment to work through and this blog has helped me to channel that energy into a positive result due to being diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Who knew being in so many car accidents would alter the way I eat on a daily basis, but more importantly, who knew the great people it would bring into my life through this blog!
I am so grateful to the following individual;s/companies that were so supportive of me in 2012, I can’t begin to even tell you the indelible mark you’ve left on my heart and in my life:
- Karen Morgan – Blackbird Bakery: Your friendship is priceless! You’ve shared your knowledge of gluten-free baking openly, making me a better baker and more knowledgeable about what I put into my body!
- Michael Natkin of Herbivoracious: It was a pleasure to work with you this last year and I am glad to be able to call you my friend! Thank you for making me love vegetables in a way I never thought possible! I am so happy for your success & here’s to continued success in 2013!
- Bruce & Adam of Harvard Common Press: You to gents are just the best! Words can’t express how thankful I am to have you in my life! It’s been a pleasure since the word go and I look forward to working with you both more on many fronts!
- National Foundation for Celiac Awareness: First and foremost thank you for your tireless efforts in helping to get the word out about Celiac Disease, it’s invaluable to our community! Secondly, thank you for asking me this year to work on various campaigns – it was a delight & a pleasure! Here’s to more in 2013!
- Burger Mary: Thanks for always reminding me to not take things or myself to seriously and for reassuring me my perception is 100% spot on
- Amy Green & Jen Cafferty: Wow thank you for asking me to help with the Nourished Food Blogger Conference. It was an honor for sure and such a great conference! Hoping for a repeat in 2013!
- Nicole Patel – Owner of Delysia Chocolatier: Thank you for being my client! I’ve enjoyed working with you and have learned so much as a business woman from you as well! Here is to a fantastic 2013 for Delysia Chocolatier!
- And last but certainly not least . . . all my girlfriends locally & back home in San Francisco (you know who you are)! It’s been a tough year for sure, but you’ve been patient, understanding, loving, honest, supportive and above all amazing friends! Thank you and here is to another year of friendship in 2013!
Here are some of my favorite bites from 2013: