Tex Mex Salad:
- *Note: I added in the Chipotle Seasoning into the food processor at the same time I put the chips in vs. grinding up the chips first and then adding in the seasoning. Due to the oils in the chips adding in the seasoning at the same time seem to intensify Chipotle flavor. Additionally instead of spooning onto a baking sheet as indicated in original recipe, I used a pastry bag (If you don't have a pastry bag you can use a Ziplock bag, cutting off the tip and use in the same manner as a pastry bag). Bake at 325 degrees until light golden color.
- Making this change resulted in a much lighter and airier meringue! Now what to top these delicious Chipotle Meringues with?? Being that the meringue was seasoned with Chipotle seasoning and that it's summer I wanted to keep it light. So I whipped up a classic Tex Mex salad with roasted corn, tomato, red onion, black bean and avocado salad.
- Once you've prepared all of the above ingredients, mix together in a medium size mixing bowl. Add in the avocados last and gently stir into mixture so as not to mash the avocado.
- To plate: Use a pre-form biscuit cutter or a ramekin to create molded shape. Thinly slice avocado to top and place Chipotle Meringue atop. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to finish off dish.
- This dish is so light it can be served as an appetizer or you can add a protein such as chicken and/or skirt steak plating in the same manner. Additionally, it's a great dish for those that are vegan and/or vegetarian. You can substitute egg whites with Ener-G Egg Substitute so it meets your dietary requirements (and maintains a gluten-free diet).